Being charged with a crime or arrested for a criminal activity is a nightmare for anyone. No matter how major or minor your charge is, hiring a competent and professional criminal defense lawyer is not only going to be advantageous to your situation, it is also crucial to your ability to defend yourself against the criminal charges.
A competent criminal defense lawyer not only takes the appropriate steps at the right time to improve the defendant’s situation, there are also times when the outcome of the lawyer’s efforts may even lead to a dismissal of the charges.
Why to hire a criminal defense lawyer?
A person charged with criminal charges can face serious outcomes like imprisonment, a criminal record, losing their present job, and also the future prospects of breaking up relationships and severe punishments. Hiring a well reputed criminal defense lawyer can save you from all these hazards.
The information mentioned below is what you need to know about hiring a talented and competent criminal defense attorney.
- It is always best to hire an attorney who specializes in the areas of felonies, misdemeanors, drug charges, white collar crimes, etc.
- The attorney must have the knowledge and skills to get your criminal charges reduced to a lesser defense as well as to lessen the intensity of your punishment.
- The attorney should be able to explain and protect your rights in all awkward situations.
- The attorney should be able to familiarize you with nature of the charges posed against you.
- The attorney should be well informed, experienced, and familiar with the best possible defenses available in your situation.
- The attorney must have the knowledge and potential to negotiate with the prosecutors concerning any plea bargains on your behalf.
- The attorney should be efficient enough to challenge your arrest with regard to probable cause.
- The attorney should be vigilant concerning the strengths and weaknesses of your case.
- The attorney should be experienced in handling criminal cases similar to yours.
- The attorney should have substantial knowledge and experience as a defense lawyer because a defense attorney requires special expertise and skills to defend criminal matters.
- It would be much more beneficial to you, if the attorney you hire has the experience of being a former prosecutor because this experience will enable him to have a well-defined sense of understanding regarding the moves and techniques used by prosecutors which will allow him to easily counter them.
- Along with being approachable, your attorney should be the one person, who can make you feel comfortable in your communications with judges, prosecutors and juries.
- The attorney should also be skilled in both negotiations and trials.
- The attorney should be a State Bar Certified Specialist.
- The attorney should be the one who keeps you well informed about your court dates, court charges, court locations, bail amount, and any additional services that he thinks you may need.
What are the different sources to find good defense attorneys?
- Contact the States’ criminal defense lawyer organizations. They either have online directories or provide referral services.
- Access online directories which provide information about criminal defense lawyers like Find Law and Com.
- Search State Bar websites or search under Certified Criminal Law Specialists in your county. They provide you with the best information as they do not certify people for money or promotional purposes.
How much a defense attorney will charge?
The fee charged by a criminal defense attorney depends upon a lot of factors that include:
- Qualification, rapport, experience, and the track record of a lawyer.
- Time involved with the case.
- Charges filed against you.
- In the case of misdemeanors, fees vary between cities, counties, and states.
- Most defense lawyers charge their time either hourly or by a flat fee arrangement.
- Some of them may allow you to set up a payment plan.
- Some lawyers may charge an upfront retainer fee before they will begin working on your case.
But most crucial of all is to always aim for a written fee agreement, in order to avoid any unexpected confusion in costs.
At the Law Office of Andrew S. Kasmer, P.C. our distinguished and competent criminal defense lawyers, will employ their skills and expertise, to help you to get through this ordeal in your life. Our efficient attorneys are extremely knowledgeable regarding the crucial pre-trial issues and shall take appropriate measures to improve and strengthen your position in the court.